Friday, January 18, 2008

Vincent Lim and I met again at MIA A&D Center in May 2007


Vincent Lim sent me to the KLIA Airport and we had light supper before I flew off to Shanghai.in May 2006


Returning to Shanghai after the Labor Day Golden Week holiday

One of my former students, Vincent Lim has opted to travel two over hours from Malacca after work and sent me to KLIA or Kuala Lumpur International Airport. I was very pleased to see him while he looked forward to see me off also. Like everybody else, we all had not seen each other for a year since my last returning trip one year ago and right before the long Labor Day holiday. Vincent is a generous person, a gentleman. We chatted much to catch up on things past and recent. He is now a proud father of a10-month old baby girl. We said farewell when I had to go for my flight around a quarter before 1 a.m. And I truly miss all my friends, all my former students, and Vincent Lim when I was waiting for boarding. I was glad I got to see as many affectionate and congenial friends as I could in this way too brief holiday.

The second installment of China's long 7-day holiday, or the Golden Week of Labor Day holiday, is over - with me returning to Shanghai and resuming work but one day later due to travel agent's incompetent, unprofessional and irresponsible way of booking. The 5-hour over night flight touched down at 6:37 a.m. It was considered as a smooth and easy ride, not experiencing any turbulent all the way while the touch down was really perfect. The in-flight service was a little more than rushing when hurried to clear out those not so fresh meals; my all emptied out tray was picked up immediately. I did not mind over this quickie service but drowsed off into sleep. Having no choice but tucked in between two travelers, I truly hated this arrangement. The flight was all full and over booked.

All custom clearance was smooth and sound until I was stopped at the last luggage pick up and check point, where I was asked to open up luggage for inspection. The inspector found me carrying bags of coffee and three small boxes of medical supplies. Well, those little shake and dispose, individual bags of coffee appeared very suspicious when scanned. They put those bags of coffee through the scanner one more time. I opened one to demonstrate to them what those things were. The inspector was all convinced and let me go; it was a little hassle but they did in friendly ways. I was very pleased with the inspector's required job responsibilities in carrying out duties. This keeps all travelers safe and secure, maintains order, and all is well.

It was a rainy morning, light rain or drizzle. While the Line 5 Airport Coach scooted slowly, the traffic jam was actually building up all the way into the Pudong Business District. The Airport Coach took nearly an hour to arrive at the Dongfang Hospital drop off point and I arrived home near 8:30 a.m. After a speedy unloading of luggage and a quick warm shower, I shot off to work. I was 8 minutes late to arrive at work on this Tuesday morning on May 9th, 2006.

Returning to work after the Labor Day holiday, it is found that nobody is allowed to take any day off unless officially approved with further game plan to be coordinated due to approved absence. The amounting pressure of increasing workload prompted my boss to set off this strategy. UDG is now standing at 150 staffs and will be expanding to 200 by the end of the year. One high rise is already at the stage of being constructed in its overall façade and character. This requires team of professionals to carry through. Today, there is not much to shoot for other than a minor meeting with my boss about what to do next. I feel very slow for I was short of good sleep over night.

According to the Farmer's Almanac, Summer Begins on last Friday, May 5th, 2006. Although the temperature recorded at 18 degree Celcius today, chilly, drizzle in the morning and later rain by noon, however, I look forward to this summer.

Jeremy
Greetings from Shanghai
Tuesday, May 9th, 2006

No comments: