Friday, January 18, 2008

The Year of Dog

It is not particularly a cold but rather a chilly winter for Shanghai. Shanghai is considered cold because of its high degree of humidity. The everyday temperature actually depresses the environment in general; it is gloomy and it is passive in mood. As Shanghainese infrequently nag about the weather in this city as 'passively cold' and reaching a certain unacceptable but inevitable level of physical discomfort. The sun peaks every now and then. The clothes take longer to dry. At this time of the year, I would opt to stay in the warm bed soon after a hearty dinner every evening, with stretching evening hours and care-less active hours, and unlike the hot, energetic and sweaty summer.

Most of the leaves on those Phoenix trees are long gone. Those fully grown trees really provide very effective shade in summer; they line nearly all the streets of Shanghai. Weeks ago before the cold snap, many sections of these streets were partially barricaded for the city street management teams to work in troops in various task actions: some were seen cropping the stark branches, some collecting the twigs, some sweeping the ground areas, and some directing instructions to passers-by. Many larger stumps were sawn, wrapped or sealed with blue plastic sheets; guess it is done to protect those stumps from freezing or losing moisture and for better growth when spring returns.

After tomorrow, my office UDG will be gone on leaves for 13 consecutive days, temporarily not operating in architectural business for the sake of approaching Chinese New Year, the Year of the Dog, and resumes work on February 7th. In the past several Saturdays, we all had to work our dues to replace for this longer holiday. Majority of the staffs is from out stations; they would have to travel long distance to return homes, several of them will travel for as long as more than a day or 24 hours on the road – all just for the sake to return home for annual family re-union due to the festive season. They will be adding to the number and stressing continental migration, from city to city, from Province to Province, on the way home as well as and on the way back to work after the festive celebration. Some will take buses and most will be traveling by trains, and nearly all of the transportation will be fully stuffed. Some will be out-migrating, taking advantage of the long leaves and travel to foreign lands, many are just in time to receive China with the newly bolstered open international receptions.

Last Thursday, UDG celebrated its annual dinner to express appreciation to all the staffs. It was rather a simple evening that lasted only two hours. Some simple drawing, giving and receiving of prizes to entertain for all as part and parcel of the multi-course dinner. Today, bonuses are all distributed by the Finance Department. Those who worked hard gathered and those who did not commit would be let go. New contracts will be signed or re-signed accordingly. Many will return homes with satisfactions to share with the families; some may have to look for new undertakings – such is the reality of life.

I would have to make a conclusion to say that the year 2005 was not particularly exceptional for me. I was not traveling much other than necessitated conditionally. I was not productive for I had not single creative literary done for myself other than driven by professional commitment. I worked hard and smart. I managed to set up the Research Department, though with little help but still had to commit to my personal as well as professional promises. I made many translations from English to Chinese. I got the in-house magazine done in five months and delivered just in time as gifts for all the staffs for this Chinese New Year.

What is my Chinese New Year resolution? Well, I do not have any for I never systematically planned for anything in life. What is my Chinese New Year plan? Well, again, I do not have any. Rather, I let my life grow organically, and most truly, savor the moment of life more than any mega expectation in life or in future. What is over was nothing to feel sorry for but projecting ahead is the key to meaningful ways of life.

Indeed, this is for sure. I will resume my literary output. Yes, I will take this whole lot of year to complete my fourth poetry book, which was half completed in Kuala Lumpur, retained and delayed by a few unexpected reasons, and before I arrived in Shanghai to start new working life in a foreign land again. In May 2006 this year, I would be in Shanghai for two years. And it's about time to regenerate my creative momentum and complete the planned fourth poetry book.

May this Year of Dog bring you lots of joy and prosperity!

Happy Chinese New Year to all!

Jeremy
Greetings from Shanghai
Jan. 23rd, 2006

No comments: