Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Craftman
at Century Park
I mentioned about this elderly craftman before. This balmy Thursday, I saw him again finding his territory plying his trade at the Century Park. It turned out that he strung together various different types of bead with soft iron thread to form many different characterizations.
I approached him and asked about the price. He explained, for any one of them is RMB10 each. He further clarified that for every piece he made, he spent RMB4 to 5 and made a living purely out of craftmanship. A couple approached and bargained. He did not abide but reaffirmed his skill without compromising for any bargaining.


These are some of the products.

And I bought the following two for a total of RMB20, all because this craftmanship reminds me about my mother who was also very skillful just the same.


Jeremy
Shanghai upon the Sea
March 26, 2009

No comments: